Friday, June 1, 2012

Dark Kiss- Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
My rating: 2.5  of 5 stars

Summary

I don't do dangerous.  Smart, ├╝ber-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....

I’m a cautious fan of Rowen’s adult urban fantasy series, so I’m sorry to say that I found Dark Kiss rather predictable and unoriginal. I anticipate that Dark Kiss will do well in the young adult market despite my lack of confidence in the volume- chiefly because while I found the characters uninspiring, Dark Kiss is well written, and it’s about angels and the like. Paranormal romance is extremely popular in the young adult market right now, so I think sales will be fine.

Review
Michelle Rowen’s adult series has something that Dark Kiss is lacking: a spark. Her adult series kept readers on there toes; Dark Kiss feels like something I’ve read many times. I wonder if reading Kagawa’s Immortal Rules prior to Dark Kiss influenced my opinion of it. Immortal Rules had extremely strong world-building, and Dark Kiss fell flat in comparison.

I probably will not read any sequels to Dark Kiss. But I will still recommend it to anyone interested in Paranormal Romance for YA. Maybe the problem is that I’ve always been an urban fantasy girl, and Dark Kiss isn’t exactly in that genre.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I admit, I read this book because I fell in love with the cover. Which is funny, because I read it as an e-book, but I still chose it because of that cover. I had a bit of trouble getting into it at first. I didn't really connect with the heroine Samantha (Sam), and actually found her decision making process to be extremely frustrating to read. It took about 2/3 of the book for her to actually make some GOOD choices (and stop being so freakin' gullible) and that's when I feel like the book came into it's own. I also didn't care about what happened to her best friend who plays a pretty important role in the book - I think I even hoped she died at some point which shows how annoying she was to me. The saving grace (literally?) of this book is the men, specifically the angel Bishop, but I found myself liking his demon counterpart Kraven more and more as the story went on too. Once things started picking up and moving, the book was quite engrossing -- I only hope that book 2 picks up that way and doesn't start out like this one did or I might not make it through it.

    ReplyDelete

McAfee

McAfee, Inc