While often sweet and heartwarming, this book has both its upsides and downsides. When I first saw the cover, I felt like it was screaming I AM CLICHÉ at me. However, you should ignore the strange long-haired, glowing boy on the cover, as the book is not actually that bad. As I began to read, I found that I actually did like it. Katrina is sweet and realistic, and her two best friends are developed well. The plot is an interesting concept, and the small-town setting really adds to the book. However, as I continued reading, a few things started to bother me. Katrina began to seem whiny, as she constantly moans about her “lack of talent” and uncertain future. Since when is everyone supposed to know exactly what they want to do with their life when they’re only in 10th grade? The rest of the book is enjoyable, even though it can be a bit uneven. It’s hard to believe that a book that features such hilarious thoughts as “Is it easier to kick a guy in the balls if he’s wearing a kilt?” could be the same book that contains the horrendous sentence “His thighs spread out like corduroy logs”. The only other thing that bothered me was the ending. Everything works out much too perfectly, giving the ending an almost fake feel. However, Coffeehouse Angel was a fun, quick read, and I would recommend it for anyone with some extra time on their hands.
~Angela
P.S. You can buy Coffeehouse Angel here.
Yeah, I agree with your review. It's definitely got it's upsides and downsides...
ReplyDelete